This appointment is dependent upon part funding from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), for the project Digital Innovation for Manufacturing (DI4M) project number 50R18PO2791, supported by the HVM Catapult, and will be subject to the continuation of both the availability of funding and the projects.
To work within the WMG SME Group to stimulate technology best practice in Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), in collaboration with University academic staff and other industry partners. This is achieved by :
Working directly with clients to recommend innovate technologies and solutions.
Providing technical solutions to clearly identify a company’s business issues and needs in relation to innovative technology.
Providing expert advice on technology related issues within the WMG SME Group e.g. funded by High Value Manufacturing Catapult, Innovate UK or European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
To further develop SME offerings in innovative technologies and ensure on-going success through developing the technology element of advisory activities and to complete project deliverable targets effectively (e.
g.safeguarding and creating jobs).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To manage technical aspects of the SME Group’s collaborative projects including contributing to or producing technical reports, presentations and dissemination output.
Working towards the delivery of DI4M project and the HVM Catapult project targets.
2. To manage and maintain client relationships to ensure that the innovative solution is sourced / implemented and that business assists and other output measures are accurately recorded and monitored by the SME Group.
To attend suitable conferences, exhibitions and events to build collaborative networks and contacts.
3. To provide technical recommendations, practical tools, design advice and support in adoption of best practice technical solutions for SMEs.
4. To carry out technical investigations to identify innovative technologies suitable for application to identified businesses issues, and to ensure that WMG SME Group targets are met.
Carry out suitable tests to evaluate performance and ensure they push the boundaries of innovation with the supervision of Innovation Manager.
5. To define, assess and implement technical / applications solutions. Develop and implement maintainable systems using appropriate tools.
6. To develop and maintain new and existing IIPSI building demonstrators.
7. To ensure compliance with all relevant Health and Safety requirements for demonstrator equipment.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively.
This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test / Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1Post graduate qualified (or a graduate or with significant relevant industrial experience) in a relevant science or engineering discipline e.
g. an engineering, applied science or design degree. (a)Essential Criteria 2Experience in industry and understanding of technology to a level that commands the respect of Director level / senior managers in SMEs and enables a discussion with specialist academic staff (a,c,d)Essential Criteria 3Experience of industrial application of innovative technology in Manufacturing or related sectors (a,c,d )Essential Criteria 4Experience in one or more of the following areas :
For further information about the department, please visit the departmental website.
WMG operates a range of SME programmes such as collaborate research, postgraduate education, internships and innovation services The WMG centre High Value Manufacturing (HVM) Catapult Reach Programme is tasked with working with Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to help them to adopt new innovations leading to a technology led competitive advantage.
The programme will provide SMEs with access to a range of technology workstreams and subsequent new opportunities for innovative products.
SME support services will be offered by the team to ensure on-going success through delivering advisory activities to ensure WMG Centre High Value Manufacturing (HVM) Catapult Reach programme Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and deliverable targets are met.