At Biffa we are looking for a Regional Environmental Control Advisor. This position provides support and assistance to achieve environmental compliance for more than one location.
The role provides support to the RECM and to help ensure the collection, collation, management and reporting of environmental data collected for regulatory purposes and company procedures at a number of the Company’s sites, and to assist in ensuring the achievement of legal compliance and the adoption of best practice within the region.
1. Assist in the provision of training to indirect reports to ensure the methods by which environmental monitoring is undertaken is to an agreed standard so as to comply with both internal and external requirements.
and to assist in tracking costs where necessary.
3. Assist in managing ECA time and provide holiday cover to the Regional Environmental Control Manager. Collate costs for equipment and the outsourcing of monitoring where required to ensure that all environmental monitoring is completed in accordance with, and fulfils both legislative and internal requirements.
4. Complete internal and external environmental and permit associated reports for submission to regulatory authorities. Completing these reports in agreed formats and in a timely manner ensures regulatory compliance.
5. Help coordinate a team of ECA’s where the Regional Environmental Control Manager is on holiday to ensure that sampling, analysis and recording of environmental monitoring requirements are undertaken as specified by individual sites.
Assist in the maintenance of BEDS and including updating monitoring schedules to ensure the validity of the data.
6. Liaising and negotiating with EA and other internal and external bodies, and providing support and assistance to the management team.
7. Assessment of Health and Safety performance and promoting a culture of safety.
8. Undertake environmental monitoring at designated sites. Review trends in environmental data, inspect site infrastructure and ensure that it is maintained to good standard.
9. Assist in site related projects and provide environmental monitoring cover and leachate treatment plant cover as required.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The role requires a degree in environmental or a science based discipline to ensure the interpretation and understanding of environmental change and landfill theory at the different sites.
This level of understanding is paramount to provide the EA and other governing bodies with the knowledge and information required to fulfil the requirement of the associated permit or consent.
The role requires environmental monitoring, report writing, data collation and interpretation. The role also involves liaising with the EA and other bodies, and providing support and assistance within the division as a whole.
The role requires excellent time management, organisational and report writing skills due to strict timescale imposed as well as the ability to communicate at all levels with a number of different internal and external bodies.
The RECA is responsible for monitoring, data interpretation, analysis, trending, reporting and circulation of data, LTP cover, upload / maintain BEDS and environmental data, maintenance of environmental monitoring infrastructure, comprehensive records, CoTC cover, project management, Health and safety and tracking aspects of environmental spend.
The role is responsible for ensuring sites remain open in relation to potential environmental impact.
The post holder will assist with the provision of environmental costs including site costs (data sampling and analysis, external contractors, equipment and servicing).
Additional information covering any potential required boreholes, potential permit reductions or increases, potential for contractors to be required.
Leachate costs including discharge, sampling, chemicals, servicing and equipment.
A levels Relevant Subject
Degree in in Environmental / Chemistry / Biology scientific subject
CoTC / NVQ in Waste management
Using a Computer and Microsoft programmes
Minimum 3 year relevant experience
Liaison with governing bodies
Business financial awareness
Extensive knowledge of environmental monitoring techniques
Knowledge of environmental compliance issues associated with landfilling and waste management
Knowledge and understanding of landfill theory and legislationScientific understanding