JOB PURPOSE AND ROLE
To drive passenger carrying vehicles of up to 17 seat capacity and other vehicles within the division in accordance with the city council's Driver Code of Conduct and the Transport Department Induction manual.
Part-time, 16-20 hours per week. School run shift schedule.
All post holders must hold a category D1 Driving Licence.
Driver CPC desirable but not essential.
To assist with the boarding, alighting and safe transportation of service users to or from home to or from venues across and outside the city.
Passengers may include those with mobility impairments who may require the use of specialist equipment.
On some occasions, the post holder may have to drive on a run without the aid of a passenger assistant. The post holder may also have to act in the role of passenger assistant as required.
Service users consist of persons of all ages who may have special needs.
Venues using passenger transport include special schools, other schools, adult day training centres, day-care centres, swimming baths and any other service providers.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) To drive passenger carrying vehicles in a safe and professional manner adhering to road traffic legislation, passenger safety and other road users.
2) To wear appropriate personal protection equipment (high visibility vest and safety boots) as supplied.
3) To carry out a vehicle check prior to commencing each journey to ensure road-worthiness of vehicle. To check operation of passenger comfort systems.
To identify and note any vehicle defects and inform supervision accordingly.
4) Ensure that the vehicle is correctly equipped with sufficient seating, wheelchair tie-down systems and passenger restraint apparatus specific to each run list prior to commencing the journey and to check all items for correct and safe operation.
5) To wash vehicles as necessary and maintain cleanliness inside using available depot facilities and materials. To clean up biological spillages as soon as possible.
6) To show consideration and customer focus to transport service users who may be vulnerable and suffer from physical and / or mental impairments by demonstrating respect for their independence and ensuring their comfort throughout the journey.
7) To assist in the boarding and alighting of service users able to walk on or off the vehicle using the access steps at the side entrance of the vehicle.
8) To assist the boarding and alighting of service users who are mobility impaired and / or who may use a wheelchair by safe operation of the tail-lift.
9) For service users confined to a wheelchair, to apply correct wheelchair tie-downs (clamps) and passenger restraints (seat belts) prior to journey and removal of such equipment at destination.
10) Where necessary, to enter service users premises by using key-safe apparatus and to ensure premises are secure on departure.
11) To transport service users items including medicines, luggage and monies as necessary. For the latter, the purpose and amount must be entered on the run list.
12) To ensure the welfare of particularly vulnerable service users when returning home by ensuring premises are adequately heated and lit and safe.
13) To make entries into the Daily Incident Book and complete appropriate council proforma relating to :
14) To deliver vehicles to Culwell St workshops for defect rectification, servicing and inspection as instructed by supervision.
For defects, to complete appropriate defect form with a copy returned to supervision.
15) To plan for each journey to be completed in the most efficient manner by inspection of the run list allowing for :
16) Completion of the run list by ticking relevant box at each call. At destination, checking that all service users have vacated the vehicle.
Run list to be completed and signed at the end of the journey and returned to supervision.
17) Operation of mobile telephone when vehicle is static concerning run amendments and road traffic issues and to re-plan run accordingly.
18) Following completion of each journey, to ensure vehicle is free of lost property and that all equipment is in tidy order and safely stowed.
Seat belts are retracted and free of twists. All rubbish should be removed. Ensure vehicle is adequately fuelled.
19) To carry out risk assessments at service users properties in respect of :
20) To undertake any duties commensurate with the post.
21) To attend training and refresher courses as necessary
22) Undertaking any other duties commensurate with the grading and designation of the post, subject to any reasonable adjustments under the Disability and Equality Act 2010.
23) To comply with the council's Equal Opportunities Policy, Standing Orders and Financial Regulations, Health and Safety at Work Legislation, Data Protection, Computer Security Procedures and Customer Care Policies and Guideline.
NB. In accordance with driving law, all drivers are legally responsible for the safety of all passengers carried in the vehicle they are driving.
YOO Recruit is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy
Role : Driver - Passenger Transport
Job Type : Part Time
Location : Wolverhampton, West Midlands (County),
Apply for this job now.