Job description / Person specification
The job holder will work in the Weapons Science group which is part of Applied Science. Within Weapons Science our teams come from a variety of physics, chemistry, mathematics and related engineering backgrounds.
They are critical to research, advice and the assessment of weapons systems including the detailed technologies that enable their use.
They help our customers ensure that these critical assets perform effectively and safely. This particular role involves conducting research, evaluation and assessment of weapon and warhead systems.
It is likely that the successful candidate will have an engineering or physics background. The role will be based at our Fort Halstead site.
Knowledge, skills and Personal Qualities Required
1. Credible technical background with experience of research, evaluation and assessment and an aptitude and willingness to develop in other areas.
It is desirable for some of the experience to be within the weapons domain but training will be given if required.
2. Experience of providing engineering technical lead role by generating compelling proposals and programme plans, setting technical objectives and identifying resource requirements, and then technically leading the programme whilst proactively monitoring progress.
3. Experienced in planning and risk assessing trials involving weapon systems.
4. Excellent interpersonal, influencing, analytical and team working skills
5. Good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers’ requirements and problems, good interpersonal and relationship building skills
6. Excellent written and oral communication skills , including presentation skills
7. Personal resilience to handle competing demands and setbacks
Challenges with the role include :
1. Leading and contributing to technical programmes in this area.
2. Working with internal and external stakeholders.
3. Working with programme and project managers to deliver projects to forecast performance by proactively managing risk.
4. Promoting innovation, inventiveness and excellence within QinetiQ
5. Networking both internally and externally to maintain awareness of relevant activities and to identify opportunities
1. Provide technical direction, leadership and individual contribution to technical teams to ensure that programmes are delivered effectively and meet customer requirements and expectations
2. Provide liaison with colleagues, customers and other stakeholders to ensure delivery and growth of the business
3. Ensure the application of an appropriate level of Technical Assurance for opportunities and projects; as part of the project cycle ensure that customers’ requirements and tasks are fully understood and that problems, issues and risks are reliably identified at the outset Provide technical direction, leadership and individual contribution to technical teams to ensure that programmes are delivered effectively and meet customer requirements and expectations
1. A first degree in Science or Engineering, or an equivalent, nationally recognised, professional qualification, with typically 3-
6 years of further on the job experience and growth of key skills, working in the domain and backed up with a tangible track record of achievement.
2. Experience with weapon systems is desirable however it is more important to have demonstrated the ability to learn new technical areas
3. Would be close to achieving membership of a relevant professional body.
4. A strong ethos on the importance of safety, operational efficiency, and delivery is paramount
5. Job involves travel in UK and overseas and periods away from home.