QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description / Person specification
QinetiQ’s Cyber and Information (C&I) business helps its customers respond to ever evolving threats, based on its expertise in training, secure communication platforms, intelligence, surveillance, and cyber security.
CIT delivers mission-winning innovation into global defence, security, and critical national infrastructure markets.
The QinetiQ Intelligence Surveillance Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) Systems Engineering team provides ISTAR Domain Subject Matter Expert (SME) System Engineers, ISTAR System Architects, and ISTAR Scientists into CIT projects to deliver capability into Defence, Government and Industry both as Customer Friend (advice side) and Delivery (supply side) agents.
The Systems Engineering ISTAR team is predominantly based in Malvern, Bristol and Lincoln with support from other specialist staff at Farnborough and other QinetiQ sites.
The QinetiQ ISTAR Systems Engineering team currently supports a number of major projects and campaigns such as the Engineering Delivery Partnership (EDP), Battlefield CIS (BATCIS), PICASSO Systems Integration Team (PSIT), Watchkeeper Army UAS, New GEOINT Services (NGS), Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) Innovation Partnership and many more.
The team is looking for highly motivated Systems Engineers with ISTAR Domain Knowledge to support a variety of interesting and ground-breaking projects.
A range of such opportunities exists and we will consider applicants who both meet the specific requirements and those with similar experience.
Typical roles entail working for a technical lead experienced in this domain (for the larger projects) and working alongside fellow ISTAR systems engineers and domain subject matter experts.
Responsibilities are centred upon advising the customer upon requirements, architectures and suitable solutions. These can also include developing solutions through design and implementation to testing and acceptance.
Specific ISTAR Domain Key Activities :
g. DOORS, Sparx EA, Agile SE, TOGAF, ArchiMate
Key accountabilities :
1. Application of systems engineering approach and execution of key systems engineering activities with limited supervision
2. Engaging with customers, other stakeholders, and suppliers on specific technical matters
3. Working as part of a technical team in support of project objectives
4. Identifying, engaging with, and satisfying internal and external stakeholder communities
5. Eliciting requirements, understanding them, and addressing their satisfaction
6. Scheming overall system solutions in satisfaction of requirements and constraints using architecting and design techniques
7. Addressing integration, verification and validation and transition into operational service
8. Identifying and addressing through-life (e.g. support) considerations
9. Provides support to decision management
10. Produces technical documentation in support of work carried out
11. Delivers work and reports on progress to more senior technical and project staff
12. Escalates significant problems and issues encountered with senior staff
13. Plans and structures own work under direction of project leads
Particular skills / experience required :
e. concept development, requirements capture, design, delivery, verification and validation.
Experience and qualifications :
1. Preferably degree qualification in STEM subject, or equivalent.
2. IEng or equivalent and anticipating working towards CEng.
3. Relevant experience in systems engineering or engineering.